Establish road safety practices and routines in children at an early age as they are curious and want to explore. Protect and supervise children in all traffic situations.
- Talk with children about road safety in ways they would understand.
- Watch their movements and never leave them unattended especially in the vicinity of a road.
- Young children depend on adults to keep them safe. Never leave a child alone in the car, this can prove dangerous as they can manipulate the car or if no ventilation is present, suffocate.
- Children may also be restless and distract the driver, while traveling in a vehicle. Ensure wearing of seatbelt.
- They can be hard to see in traffic, therefore hold their hand when walking on the road.
- They may be easily distracted. They need help to understand what to watch out and listen for.
- Injuries may be more severe than an adult's due to their smaller size.