AAC History

The young Automobile Club was nurtured in the hills of Kandy from 1904 until 1925. Thereafter, the headquarters moved to Colombo and was housed in the Ceylon Chambers of Commerce building in Fort up to 1938. Due to the growth of the Association, the Association shifted to Iceland Building Galle Face in 1946. Thereafter, shifted its occupation to its own premises at No.28 Church Street (Sir Mohamed Macan Markar Mawatha) Galle Face. This was a picturesque spot fronted by a spacious lawn decked with fragrant frangipani trees and right in the heart of the city of Colombo.

But with the construction of its 5 storied building a few yards away, the headquarters moved into occupation in 1963 where it is now housed. It has an auditorium, boardroom, a lounge and a billiards parlour. Some of the floors of this building are leased out to earn extra income. The Technical and Road Services Department are also housed in the same compound. This property is nearly 90 perches in extent.

In the year 2002, the then Committee constructed the 4 storied Millennium building in the western side of the premises. The entire Millennium building is rented out to earn more income from its investments.

Events and Milestones

  • 1904 - Inauguration Reliability Trial from Kandy to Kegalle and back.
  • 1927 - Reliability trial from Kandy to Kegalle and back.
  • 1932 - Affiliated to the Alliance International de Tourism, Geneva, Switzerland (the World's largest Motoring and Touring Organisation) and entitled to issue the International Driving Permits, Carnets de Passages,Triptyques and other foreign travel documents.
  • 1934 - Hill Climbing.
  • 1927 - Motor Show.
  • 1927 - Commencement of the publication of "The Record".
  • 1929 - Free Legal Defence Scheme.
  • 1957 - Joined the Union of Commonwealth Automobile Association
  • 1957 - AAC Incorporated by an Act of Parliament

Membership Growth

  • 1904 - 100
  • 1910 - 200
  • 1916 - 750
  • 1948 - 4,700
  • 1953 - 10,000
  • 1961 - 16,000
  • Present - 11,200

AAC premises

  • 1904 - 1925 in Kandy
  • 1925 - 1938 at Ceylon Chamber of Commerce Building Colombo
  • 1938 - 1946 in Iceland Building, Colpetty
  • 1946 - No. 28, Church Road, Galle Face.
  • Presently at No.40 Sir Mohamed Macan Markar Mawatha, Colombo 3

Benefits

  • Optional membership of the international SYC&S program
  • Lucas battery mobile service - available on call within Colombo Municipal Limits for checking, replacing, servicing of batteries (+94 77 7751208, Mr H. Kannangara)
  • Discounts on motor insurance